Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Hexagon Crochet Motif #1 - Afghan

Just returned from the food hyper -  had to do a quick bit of grocery shopping.   Picked up some yarn too (really eeuwky colours - but that was all they had).    I'm sure I can challenge my brain to make something interesting (an idea is already forming)!

A couple of weeks ago I was looking for inspiration to use up a few skeins of red and dark brown yarn    I had inherited my Great Granny's crochet books, patterns, hooks and yarns when she passed away - so I snuggled into a sunny corner of my craft room with a cup of hot mocha chocolate and the wooden box full of Granny's handwritten / drawn patterns.

I was particularly delighted to find three patterns for hexagon motifs (which were not named but simply numbered).  

The motif I used for this Afghan was "Hexagon #1".    Granny's pattern did not stipulate colour change.   I just played around with the rows until I was happy with the result - using alternatively a single colour, and a different colour for each row:

You can find the photo tutorial and pattern for Hexagon #1 HERE


Hexagon Motif Crochet Afghan
The start of the project - and some beautiful Roses from my youngest
Hexagon Motif Crochet Afghan
I love the contrast of the Roses against the Hexagons
Hexagon Motif Crochet Afghan
Starting to see a pattern

So warm and colourful!


hexagon motif
A close up of the border






hexagon motif
Very "country cottage"
These hexagons work up to a very warm and soft textured afghan.     I must say I am quite chuffed with the result.

Until next time ...... happy crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment