Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Friday 27 September 2013

Yarn Indaba 2014 - Yarnbombing Fun

Yarn Indaba 2014 - Yarn Bomb World Record Attempt!

I am jumping in a little late with this post - by now Yarn Indaba is not new(s) - all and sundry have already picked up their crochet hooks and knitting needles and are frantically making blocks for the World Record attempt at the largest yarn bomb.


According to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


Yarn bombing, yarnbombing, yarn storming, guerrilla knitting, urban knitting or graffiti knitting is a type of graffiti or street art that employs colourful displays of knitted or crocheted yarn or fibre rather than paint or chalk.


yarn storming

The attempt at the World Record will be made on 1 August 2014 by covering the steps of the Voortrekker Monument in Pretoria, South Africa with crocheted / knitted blocks:

19050 blocks of 20cm x 20cm
3350 blocks of 15cm x 15cm 

Contributors efforts will be put to good use after the yarn bomb, as the blocks will be donated to charities for the making of blankets (lots and lots of lovely warm, wooly, comforting blankets!!)

I decided to "merge' the two scrap buster projects I had going to see how many squares I could make for Yarn Indaba!

Count so far:

24 - 20cm x 20cm blocks
2  - 15cm x 15cm blocks

An extremely colourful and mismatched collection of blocks - I could not resist the temptation to use  them for a little yarn bomb of my own:


yarn storm

I LOVE how colourful the tree looked!     I can just imagine how fantastic it must be to create a BIG yarn bomb!!

It took me about an hour to work them together roughly and then "stitch" them on to the tree (which is a lovely thirteen year old ficus - a housewarming gift from a very dear friend)     I had to take the photos in a big hurry so that I could disassemble it again - storm clouds blowing over and I was convinced we were going to get some much needed rain (my mistake - still no rain!)

The squares are once again neatly stacked and ready to play their part in the biggest Yarn Bomb ever!!!

Frantically finishing up some  more WIP's so that I can make more squares for Yarn Indaba!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Zelna, please forgive me ~ I am knee deep in so many crochet commitments at the moment, I have only now checked on my 'comments'. I love your 'yarn bombed' tree ~ and I hope that after the Monument steps are draped in glorious colour, more interest in this wonderful form of expression will come about among the crafting population in SA. Have added your blog to my list and look forward to catching up as you post along .. have a lovely weekend and fingers xrossed for some good rain this weekend Pat x

    ReplyDelete