Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Tuesday 13 May 2014

Granny Star Pattern

I have always made little embellishments for gift bags and as appliques for blankets or "plain-looking" projects.  

Going through my craft room I came across these very quick and easy to make granny stars made last year (takes longer to sew in the tails than it does to make the stars!)


crochet stars

A print friendly version of this pattern can be found HERE

GRANNY STAR PATTERN

TERMS: 

My patterns are all written in US TERMS

I have made this little conversion chart to make it easy for my UK readers to also follow the pattern


crochet terms conversion chart

YARN:

Raeesah Cotton Soft DK

(This is a matter of choice - as gauge does not really matter here, you could use anything from cotton floss to t-shirt yarn, depending on how you are going to use your stars)

HOOK SIZE:  

4.00mm

(here again use whatever hook you are comfortable with for your choice of yarn)

Foundation:   5ch, sl st into 1st chain to form a circle.


crochet stars

Row 1:  3ch into same place as sl st (counts as 1dc), 2dc into the circle, 3ch;   (3dc into the circle, 3ch) x4;  sl st into the top of 3ch at start to close;   break off yarn.


crochet stars

Row 2:   Join yarn in any 3ch sp;   3ch (counts as 1dc), 2dc, 3ch, 3dc into same place as join;   (3dc, 3ch, 3dc into next 3ch sp) x4;  sl st into the top of 3ch at start to close;   break off yarn.


crochet stars

Row 3:  Join yarn in any 3ch sp;   3ch (counts as 1dc), 2dc, 4ch, 3dc into same place as join; 1sc spike into top of "middle" dc on row 1;  (3dc, 4ch, 3dc into next 3ch sp;   1sc spike into top of "middle dc on row 1) x4;   sl st into the top of 3ch at start to close;   break off yarn.


crochet stars


crochet stars


crochet stars

Row 4:  Join yarn in space to the left of any sc spike; 1ch (counts as 1sc) in same sp as join;  1sc in space between next 2dc;   3sc into 4ch sp;   15ch, sl st into top of last sc; 3sc into 4ch sp;  1sc in space between next 2dc;  (1sc into sp before dc spike;   1 picot; 1sc into sp after dc spike;  1sc in space between next 2dc;   3sc into 4ch sp;   1 picot; 3sc into 4ch sp;  1sc in space between next 2dc) x 4;   1 picot, sl st into 1ch at start to close;   break off yarn

Note:   A picot is formed by crocheting 3ch then sl st into the top of the last sc, in exactly the same way as the 15ch loop is made.     The 15ch loop can be replaced with a 3ch picot if you want to use the star for an applique.


crochet stars


crochet stars

Work in ends

Depending on the yarn used and your tension you may need to block your star (a puff of steam and a gentle flattening with palm is usually sufficient)


crochet stars

So cute!

So colourful!

(And a super fun way to use up those teeny tiny bits of yarn!)

(PS:   This pattern was written and "tested" by me, myself and I - so if you find any little bloopers please do not by shy to point them out!)

55 comments:

  1. Great pattern and even nicer stars! Can't wait to make them! Thanks heaps for the pattern!

    Take care,
    Anne
    http://crochetbetweeentwoworlds.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Anne! Pop over to my Zooty Owl Facebook Page and post a photo of your project when you are done!

      Delete
    2. Will surely do that! :-)

      Delete
  2. Those would make a nice scarf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hubby was just saying that! He was trying to figure out how to join the motifis - LOL!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful colourful stars. I see a lot of possibilities for using them. Thanks for sharing the pattern.

    Love, Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You are welcome Margaret! I would love to see what you make with these (feel free to post a photo on my Zooty Owl Facebook Page!)

      Delete
  4. This is lovely! I posted a comment last week asking if there were any crochet clubs in Jhb but can't re-post -I'm in Edenvale/Bedfordview area. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly - I think I did reply (asking which area you were in?). We have formed our own "club" - couple of ladies who have known each other for ages! But I have been thinking about stirring up some interest at a yarn or coffee shop for a crochet club (I know they do that in Pretoria and it is time Johannesburg "got with it"!) - Watch this space for updates!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Zelna!

      Delete
  5. So pretty thanks for sharing :) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this blog: the gigantic pictures, the colorfulness (?), the patterns, the friendliness, and the talent so freely shared. Thanks for being like that!!!!!!! 8-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Jacqueline - I hope you will visit often! Thank you for the lovely comment!

      Delete
  7. AWESOME!! was looking for something to give as "office" Christmas gifts to all the ladies. I think I have found it ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a very good idea Janie. I am working on adding an extra row or two to the pattern to make coasters - especially since this is the time of year a lot of people start making their end of year gifts!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for this pattern. I have just made one and I'm really pleased with it. Your patterns and tutorials are fab for beginners like me.
      Myrtle

      Delete
  8. You have such neat stuff. I love your patterns. And I love the bright colors you use. thanks so much for sharing your crochet patterns with us. Diane S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane! I hope you will visit often!!

      Delete
  9. Love these stars so bright!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I discovered your blog recently and I'm in love with it! I've made two of your mandalas and I'd like to show them to you. This is my blog: http://minacalamina.blogspot.com. Sorry but it's written in Spanish! I love your mandalas and sure I will make more!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Super stars .... Super Star! I strung a whole row of stars (about 20) together last Xmas, added some sparkly beads in the centres and used them as a tree decoration ... your easy pattern looks just about right to make a Xmas Star Bunting!
    Pat xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. i have posted youre pattern link here : https://www.facebook.com/jennekevm?ref=hl

    greetz jenneke

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Zelna, these stars are soo pretty! Fantastic ♥. Many thanks for the pattern, I'm sure I will try some :-). Btw., I'm following your great blog now with InoReader, I love your creations :-). Sunny greetings, Nata

    ReplyDelete
  14. Zelna these are beautiful ... and as I sit here today in northern Portugal, with the AC on full blast .. 25º indoors ... about 39º outside ... I felt the urge to try one of your stars ! I don't have any cotton yarn at the moment so used DK acrily I had lying about. That was when, on the last row, you taught me something GREAT! I am almost 60 yrs old and been crocheting since I was about 9 yrs old I would guess .. and the slightly different way you join back the chain to the SC to make a picot ..... is different than what I normallly do. Your way is WAY better. No more slightly twisted picots ! I would often have one or two in a row of picots that would look a bit twisted! Not anymore ... THANK YOU so much! I will be getting some cotton yarn and making many more of these for Christmas !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful that we can share and learn new little tricks every day! Please post a photo of your stars on my Zooty Owl Facebook page if you would like to share!

      Delete
  15. Would love to do so Zelna, but am not sure how to do that on your blog ? Can you help please ... ? My star is ready and waiting ! lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK .. RE read that ... and of course I do ... I thought you meant HERE .. ! Am obviously half asleep ! Going over to your FB page .. sorry about that !!! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. *sigh* ... Obviously I am not as clever as I thought I was lol! I put my star up twice on FB and .. both times it has disappeared. :( Did I do something wrong ? I hope you can help..... I went to the huge market in Espinol today and bought some cotton yarn for more of these stars .. and also some multicoloured bluey/aqua yarn to make your Road Trip Scarf ! You have me hooked now ! lol!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice and easy .. Thank u dear ..

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think these are so pretty. I would love to either make them as an ornament for my tree, or a pretty garland to dress up a room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see what you make!! Please post a photo on my Zooty Owl Facebook Page!

      Delete
  20. I would make these as ornaments for my Christmas Tree. These are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love these! Definitely going to be making them... <3 Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Made these in red white and blue to celebrate the 4th of July! Thanks for sharing your talent with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I would love to see what they look like in the red, white and blue - please post a photo on my Zooty Owl Facebook Page!

      Delete
  23. What a great idea - we always buy cookie dough from the neighborhood kids in the fall, freeze it, and give it as gifts. I usually wrap it up pretty and include an ornament. This would certainly fit the bill and be fun to make, to boot! :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is there a way to print the instructions without there being 11 pages-half of which are just pictures? I would just like the instructions for the star. Please help. Thank you. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have done a print friendly version of the pattern Nancy - you can find it here: http://zootyowlcards.blogspot.com/2014/11/granny-star-pattern-print-friendly.html

      Delete
  25. I have just completed my first Zooty Star. I struggled a couple of places at first (I am new to this kind crocheting used to just crochet afghans for years) Finally did it! Great pattern though, design awesome, and love picots! Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you so much for the beautiful free pattern. I completed several over the holidays and shared on my new blog. Thank you again! Your work is amazing!!!

    http://www.babybellescrochetshop.com/?p=134

    ReplyDelete
  27. How would I continue the pattern without the picot to make a square?

    ReplyDelete
  28. Would you mind if I made some of these to sell on my first craft stall?

    ReplyDelete
  29. wonderful Granny Stars, thanks for sharing ;-)))

    Greetings from Germany
    Traudi

    ReplyDelete
  30. Danke für die Anleitung diese tollen Sterne kommen auch zu mir DANKE LG Karin

    ReplyDelete
  31. Merci de ce partage, les étoiles sont superbes et je vais en mettre dans mon sapins

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love this pattern and outcome, have made a few already as gift toppersand for my tree. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I improvised a little on the pattern...making them as a gift for my sister. Eliminated the picots in the 4th row. I also used crochet cotton thread instead of yarn. Planning to starch them. Hopefully she'll like them well enough to put on her tree this year.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love these - thank-you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you so much for this pattern - its October and just the time to start hooking a few festive gifts. Really looking forward to choosing some pretty colours. I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Every year I make Christmas ornaments for our Thanksgiving Party Favors. The 2016 ornament will be these colorful stars. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete