Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Saturday 5 September 2015

Popcorn Photo Prop Blanket


A couple of months back my friend popped over and asked me to make a props blanket for her grandbaby's newborn photo shoot.     The little outfit was knitted with a pretty variegated DK yarn and she had 1 x 100g ball of Chunky in the same yarn for the props blanket.

I did a quick google to see what size the blanket should be - 60cm x 60cm seemed to be about the average.

100g of Chunky (12ply) does not stretch very far!     The only way I could figure to manage a 60cm square with 160m of yarn was to make a "mesh" using a huge hook.      A little swatch of this quickly showed that I was heading in the wrong direction.

Time was also a bit of a problem so I needed to make something that would work up super fast!

I decided to alternate rows of granny clusters in Chunky with rows of "popcorns" in DK and ended up with a lovely soft and "puffy" texture.     Add a simple border with a teeny little frill and Voila!!

photo prop blanket

2 comments: