Zooty Owl's Crafty Blog

Colourful Crochet, Craft, Cooking, and Contemplations

Monday 28 September 2015

Zooty Owl Cushion CAL: October 2015

This CAL ended November 2015 - the pattern is available in my RAVELRY STORE


Thank you all for the wonderful response to the idea of hosting an OWL CUSHION CROCHET-A-LONG!

It gives me great pleasure to announce my 4th CAL (crochet-a-long):   
THE ZOOTY OWL CUSHION CAL!!!!!


The CAL will be held during the month of October 2015 and I will post a pattern and a photo tutorial every Friday - starting this Friday!


I added a bit of oomph to the Jumbo Owl Cushion to make it more fun to crochet and to make the cushion more durable.

My patterns are all written in US TERMS

The pattern is suitable for DK (8ply / light worsted) weight yarns and a 4.50mm hook OR Worsted Weight (10ply / Aran) and a 5.50mm hook.      

You can use an assortment of scraps to make your cushion, or choose a special colour palette, the choice is yours!

I have used a small amount of "Eyelash" or "Feather" yarn to add a bit of detail to the wings and owl belly - this is entirely optional, but it does give the body a bit of dimension.

For my "showcase" cushion I have used a selection of 100% Acrylic DK Elle Yarns (made by our South African Saprotex Mills) in six main colours: Apricot, Coral, Pink, Light Blue, Blue, Deep Red and Beige (with small amounts of white and navy for the eyes)


owl cushion

My colours were picked randomly for an "autumn feel" with a bit of pep (since this cushion is made from 100% Acrylic).    

If you would like to make a cushion to add some warmth to your autumn decor, you may want to select your colours from the Pantone Autumn Palette for 2015:


For those in the Southern Hemisphere a cool cotton cushion made with colours selected from the Pantone Spring Palette for 2015 may be more practical:



You could even be bold and mix the two palettes up a bit, depending on what you have in your stash!



You will need a minimum of three colours to make the design work (as well as small bits of contrasting colours for the owl's beak and feet, white and navy or black for the eyes).    There is no limit to the maximum amount of colours used - go wild!!

I am looking so forward to having you join me for this CAL on Friday!!!!!!!

3 comments: